My voiceover journey started 221 days ago
A week where I felt at my best in terms of productivity and I had some reward time when I went to see Nile Rodgers and CHIC in Berlin, in the only concert in Germany.
Another week to review by me in my dual role as a worker and CEO. I’m letting both speak on how they see the last week.
- Recap last week: how did it go with the thing you said you’d have completed by this meeting?
- What are you struggling with right now?
- What are you working on?
- What voiceover weaknesses have I discovered this week?
- What will you have done by the next time „we talk“?
- landing page analysis for John
- module 1 + 2 of this case-study-writing course (case studies are an effective tool to attract the attention of new clients)
- daily duties (day job, stolenvoiceIGTV)
- financial stuff (income tax return)
- errands, more vaccinations and stuff for Madagascar trip
Not completed but worked on it
- soycubano day 2, 3, 4 are done (but not day 5)
- review the recorded video material of my brother’s and his wife’s wedding - watched all photos and the first videos of the material
What I said I would complete but didn’t
- script 2/7 - my voiceover peer recommended that I’m taking a break because I’m „at risk of over-working this“ and losing my own natural sense and interpretation of the piece
What I didn’t mention I would complete but did complete
Maybe learning when to stop and take a break - I tend to overwork - although my ideal day routine (mentioned in episode 13) is taking care of that
- A bit more preparation for Madagascar, some final shopping, cleaning my Nokia 112 to have more space and setting up email app on my iPhone (just in case I will need email there)
- Continue commercial demo after the break: script 2
- Begin working on the first 30-second AVV (animated voiced video) for a company of my choice (must be based in Berlin) - I’ll see how long it all takes
- continue reviewing the recorded video material of my brother’s and his wife’s wedding
New weaknesses I discovered this week
New discovery of a weaknesses/challenges:
- My tendency over emphasize and having a repetitive tune going on
Here are the weakness I discovered before:
- My struggle: when conversational I’m losing energy and sounding too flat/boring
- Embracing my foreign accent but not sounding stilted - a challenging contradiction for me
- Sometimes not being able to reproduce particular way or style of delivery. So, I want to be able to consistently reproduce a style of delivery
- impatience while performing - tendency is to be too fast - “let’s get it over with quickly”
- I tend to get stiff when things take too much - so I disrelax
- Speaking well-pronounced while speaking natural
- I don’t know how to speak anymore - it seems I never knew how to speak, read out loud in the first place
- „You’re not embracing your own accent" - Penny Rawlins
- I think you have a bright and friendly natural quality to your voice, you just don’t know quite how to use it just yet:) - Tanya rich
- Sounding conversational while not sounding like I’m reading and still sounding energetic
- Forgetting to imagine who I’m to and what scenario I’m in
- „Bouncing voice“ (German: knallen) when starting a new sentence, I want to smoothen the start of a sentence more
- My non-native accent when speaking English (it doesn’t sound super German but it’s clear that I’m neither a native US nor a native British speaker
- Sounding less robotic when speaking
- Clear diction of words (no mumbling)
- Speak clear while speaking fast
- Sound like a native US-American speaker
- Sound like a native British speaker
- Sound like an English speaker with a German accent
Done next time
- script 2/7
- soycubano day 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- daily duties (day job, stolenvoiceIGTV)
- module 3 + 4 of the case-study-writing course
- review the recorded video material of my brother’s and his wife’s wedding
CEO (Hank Kock, or short Hank)
Alexander defined 15 todo items this week, accomplished 11 of them, worked on 1 (not complete yet) and failed at doing 3.
Alexander even returned to more disciplined approach of getting up early and doing the most important thing of the day first - even before checking emails, social, phone. Great!
His productivity scores from Monday to Saturday were: 4, 2.5, 10, 8, 10, 10. The maximum score is 10 as usual. Monday and Tuesday were so low because of the landing page analysis that he did for John - it took much longer than he had planned but he wanted it to get done. Thursday was an 8-point day because Alexander had decided to go out and play some hacky sack and not do the financial stuff - he needed fresh air. That’s fair enough.
In the past days, he’s been his best self. There’s only one thing that is responsible for that: I followed my day structure which is the following:
- 4.30: Wake
- 4.40: Walk
- 5.00: Write
- 5.30: Sports (light)
- 5.50: Tranquility
- 6.00: Breakfast
- 6.30: Work
- 11.30: Lunch
- 12.30: Work
- 4.30: Walk
- 4.50: Sports (harder)
- 5.30: Read
- 6.00: Dinner
- 7.00: Free time
- 9.00: Shut down
- 10.00: Lights off
Alexander knows what to and I see his effort and discipline being at a good level. No negative criticism from my side, also considering that the vaccinations took some time off the clock. I’m also happy that he rewarded himself by going to the only concert of Nile Rodgers and CHIC in Germany. Good stuff
My advice to him: Keep doing what you’re doing, you’re doing great!
brand + service by naii.io