My voiceover journey started 333 days ago
This is not a story to consume but raw food that is hard to digest.
Maybe there’s been confusion about the purpose of stolenvoice tv, my weekly show-up show and „life update“. In the show, I’m documenting my journey as a voice actor, artist, creative and entrepreneur.
stolenvoice tv is not a format where I’m telling a cohesive story that you can easily consume before going to bed. stolenvoice tv is more like that raw sweet potato, a crunchy carrot or a fresh beetroot: it is raw and hard to digest, by design.
I don’t want people to watch it. I honestly don’t care about views, subscribers but I don’t mind if there are. What I’m doing here is documenting my creator’s journey by sharing it publicly so that I can keep myself accountable on what I’m doing, saying (and not doing and saying) and having a lasting public diary that I can refer to in the future if I want to.
If some of the stuff resonates with you, that’s great. If not, I don’t mind. I’ll continue anyway just as a Rambo does, as I said in episode 25 (the German version).
Don’t watch stolenvoice tv if you want polished. Watch it if you want raw, real, true stuff. And if you don’t watch, do not.
Whatever your choice is, I appreciate you.
Get the review by my holy quadruple Frank, Hank, Jimmy and Alex. Here’s their point of view.
1/4 Worker: Frank
This week’s focus was to make progress with my commercial demo reel and with my bro’s and his wife’s wedding material. Again, it only happened on Monday and (again) it’s a shame :( Here’s what happened.
- 7x actions = target to be completed
- 3x ✅ completed
- 1x ✅⚠️ about to be completed today/tonight
- 2x ❌ worked on it but incomplete
- 1x 🔥 complete failure
- 🔥 workout
- ❌ commercial demo reel
- ❌ bro + wife wedding video
- ✅ day job
- ✅ daily stolenvoiceIGTV incl. German - Mon-Fri
- ✅ progress w/ freewritecamp incl. masterclass lesson 1.2
- ✅⚠️ stolenvoice tv ep. 26 incl. German
- still no optimal sleep-awake rhythm
- MONSTER SLEEP: 13.25 hours insane
- irregular sleeping pattern = different thoughts and a different way of thinking
- if it’s crystal-clear what I want to do as first thing on the next day, I get up more excited and sometimes sleep even less
- good flow of ideas for stolenvoiceIGTV despite or because of the daily show-up - great!
What I worked on (2x) but didn’t mention last week:
- Some organizational stuff DNS setup for domains and content editing of some project’s sub-pages
- New /join page for freewritecamp
What I wanted to work on in case I had „nothing left“ to do but but didn’t mention last week:
- voiceover review analysis: make a list „What don’t I know (yet) in voiceover? In which voiceover areas do I want to improve?
My sleep-awake rhythm like last week :(
New discoveries this week:
- The skill of using my talent and vocal power within doses and intentional limits so each performance receives the best doses, not too little (too weak) not too much (over the top, OTT).
Weaknesses I discovered before:
Weakness I worked on this week:
Weakness I fixed this week:
Done next time
- 👨💻 day job
- 🤩 progress w/ commercial demo reel
- ✂️ progress w/ bro’s + wife’s wedding material
- 📺🇺🇸🇩🇪 stolenvoiceIGTV incl. German - Mon-Fri
- 🎙 progress w/ studio list
- 📺🇺🇸🇩🇪 stolenvoice tv ep. 27 incl. German
- ✍️ progress w/ freewritecamp incl. masterclass lesson 1.3
- 🧟♂️ the some unpredictable, random orga stuff
- 🚴♂️ workout
- 😯 figure out how the Rode VideoMic Pro+ works with the Canon 6D Mark 2
2/4 CEO: Hank
How did business go?
Review of worker Frank’s performance
Frank got things done but simply not everything. I’m disappointed by that but the things he worked on were done well, and they were also important to get done.
I’m left with a so-so feeling, almost like last week. But also like last week I want to see progress with the demo reel and the wedding video.
3/4 Head of Sales: Jimmy
How did sales go?
4/4 Last words of the observer: Alex (me)
What did you (as the gray eminence) get out of this week? What was remarkable?
I’m not entirely unhappy or happy with the week. If Frank made progress with the demo reel and the video that would awesome.
Besides, doing something daily like stolenvoiceIGTV feels special. Now I want to get into a rhythm for doing something daily with voiceover.
Death and mortality have been relevant topics sincemy childhood (there’s skull mug I got in 1998 out of the Madame Tussauds in London).
I invented the „Puzzle productivity paper“ with my four most important areas of life written on it. This reminds what I’m working on / spending time with at the moment for times of mental distraction (which happens to often in my racing mind).
Also, I want to try and experiment: Travel as voiceover artist and only record voiceover things in a studio so I can add the studio on studiolist.io and write my experience. Now, that I mentioned it I’m in doubt whether it’s a good idea.
Traveling has become a topic for me again which is why it came handy that I found this quote by Robin Hobby:
Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.
Links I mentioned in the video
brand + service by naii.io